1. Place the steel cut oats in a 2-gallon stock pot or steam kettle with a lid.
2. Drain pears and reserve juice.
3. Combine the milk, water and all of the pear juice in two 1 gal liquid measures. Add more water, if needed, to equal 1 gal + 2 qts (24 cups) of liquid.
4. Pour the liquid over the steel cut oats. Stir in the pears, flax and chia seeds (if using), vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
5. Bring the oats to a low boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for about 60 minutes, or until the oats become tender.
CCP: Cook to a minimum internal temperature of 135° F.
6. Transfer the oats to steamtable pans.
7. Serve 1 cup portions.
CCP: Hold and serve at 135° F or higher.
*We recommend using only U.S. grown and canned pears for the best flavor, quality, texture and yield.