Pear Shrimp Salad with Cilantro Yogurt Dressing
- 24 Pacific Northwest Canned Pears, halves, in juice, drained and juice reserved
- 1/4 cup peeled, sliced ginger
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 6 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 24 cups loosely packed arugula leaves
- 12 cups hearts of palm, drained and cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 12 large avocados, sliced
- 6 cups grape tomato halves
- 3 cups Cilantro Yogurt Dressing (recipe follows)
- 1-1/2 cup lightly toasted almond slivers
- CILANTRO YOGURT DRESSING
- 1-1/2 cups Pacific Northwest Canned Pears, halves, in juice, drained and juice reserved
- 2-1/4 cups plain Greek-style yogurt
- 3/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 4-1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1-1/2 tablespoons grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped lime zest
- 1-1/2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 1-1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- Kosher salt to taste
Place 3 cups of the reserved pear juice and 1 cup of water in a non-reactive pan with the ginger and garlic. Bring the mixture to a simmer, add the shrimp and simmer 1 minute or just until the shrimp begins to turn pink.
Remove the pan from the heat and cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
To assemble, for each serving, mound 1 cup arugula on a chilled plate and top with 1/2 cup hearts of palm, 1/2 sliced avocado sliced, 1/4 cup tomato halves, 1 sliced pear half, 4 ounces chilled poached shrimp, 3 tablspoons Cilantro Yogurt Dressing, and 1 tablespoon slivered almonds.
CILANTRO YOGURT DRESSING
Finely chop the pears and set aside.
In a small non reactive pan over medium high heat, reduce 1-1/3 cups of the reserved pear juice by two thirds, to 1/3 cup juice. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
In a non-reactive bowl, whisk together the yogurt, cilantro, lime juice and zest, ginger, garlic and pepper. Add the reduced pear juice and chopped pears. Mix well to combine and add salt to taste. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or until ready to use.
Makes 3 cups.
Makes 24 servings
- Calories: 367
- Fat: 16g
- Cholesterol: 171mg
- Sodium: 536mg
- Carbohydrate: 29g
- Dietary Fiber: 9g:
- Protein: 30g