Pear Carrot Cake
- 1-1/2 pounds (6 cups) carrots, grated
- 2 pounds 2 ounces (4 cups) Pacific Northwest Canned Pears, diced, in juice, drained
- 1 cup (5 ounces) dried cranberries or raisins
- 1 cup (5 ounces) walnuts, lightly toasted and chopped
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 eggs (about 10 ounces)
- 1-1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1-1/4 cups lightly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 5 cups Cream Cheese Icing (recipe follows)
- CREAM CHEESE ICING
- 1-1/4 pounds cream cheese, softened
- 10 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups (9 ounces) confectioners sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
In a large bowl, combine the carrots, pears, cranberries and walnuts, and set aside. Sift the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt together into a separate bowl and set aside. Lightly grease a half sheet pan and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the eggs with the sugars and oil until well combined, light and fluffy. Add flour mixture and mix to blend on low speed. Remove the bowl from the mixer and add the batter to the bowl with the carrots, pears, cranberries and walnuts; stir well to evenly distribute and coat the ingredients with the batter.
Pour the mixture out onto the prepared sheet pan and bake 20 to 30 minutes or until slightly firm to the touch and baked through. Remove the pan from oven to a rack and cool completely.
To assemble, cut the cooled cake into 4 equal pieces. Spread Cream Cheese Icing to cover the top of each layer, stacking layers as you frost, to produce a 4-layer, frosted cake. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours before slicing into 24 equal pieces to serve.
The cake will hold, covered, up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
CREAM CHEESE ICING
In the bowl of stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, blend the cream cheese and butter until smooth and free of lumps.
Add the sifted confectioners sugar and continue to beat until smooth and light. Mix in vanilla.
Makes 5 cups
Makes 24 servings
- Calories: 430
- Calories from Fat: 170
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Cholesterol: 85mg
- Sodium: 350mg
- Carbohydrate: 61g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 44g
- Protein: 7g
- Vitamin A: 80% DV
- Vitamin C: 4% DV
- Calcium: 6% DV
- Potassium: 6% DV
- Iron: 10% DV