Pear and Cheese Turnovers with Raisins
- 6 pounds (12 cups) small-curd cottage cheese
- 5-1/4 pounds (12 cups) Pacific Northwest Canned Pears, diced, in juice, drained
- 1-1/2 pounds (4 cups) raisins, plumped in hot water and drained well
- 12 ounces (1-1/2 cups) lightly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 9 pounds frozen bread or pizza dough, thawed
- 1 cup whole milk or as needed
- Granulated sugar for sprinkling
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine cottage cheese, pears, raisins, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
Evenly divide the dough into 48 (3-ounce) pieces. Roll the dough pieces into balls, and use a rolling pin to flatten the balls into circles approximately 7-inches in diameter.
To assemble, lightly moisten the edge of each dough circle using a brush and water. Place 1/2 cup of the filling on the lower half of the circle and fold the upper half over the filling to enclose it completely. Bring the moist edges together to seal using a fork to flute the edges if desired. Repeat, transferring the turnovers to a sheet pan lined with parchment paper as you go.
When they're ready to bake, brush the tops of the turnovers with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Use a sharp paring knife to make a 1-inch slit on the top of each turner and bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.
Makes 24 servings
- Calories: 393
- Calories from Fat: 55
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 12mg
- Sodium: 734mg
- Carbohydrate: 72g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- Sugar: 29g
- Protein: 16g
- Vitamin A: 3% DV
- Vitamin C: 3% DV
- Calcium: 9% DV
- Potassium: 5% DV
- Iron: 21% DV