Pear and Caramelized Walnut Salad
- 1 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 32 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 8 cups mesclun greens or baby lettuces
- 4 cups Pacific Northwest Canned Pears, diced, in juice, drained
- 4 cups Caramelized Walnuts (recipes follows)
- 3 cups crumbled blue cheese
- CARMELIZED WALNUTS
- 4 cups walnuts, coarsely chopped to make 1/4" pieces
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
To make the vinaigrette, whisk oil with vinegar in a non-reactive bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Combine the lettuces and pears in a large bowl. Add the vinaigrette and toss to evenly coat the ingredients. Scatter the nuts and cheese over the surface, toss again to distribute and serve immediately.
Bring 2 quarts water to a boil over high heat. Add walnuts and blanch 40 seconds. Remove pan from the heat and immediately drain the walnuts into a colander, shaking well to remove excess moisture.
In a large bowl, combine drained walnuts and sugar, stirring to evenly coat the nuts. Remove the nuts to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 325 degrees F 8 to 10 minutes, or until until golden brown.
Makes 4 cups
Makes 24 servings
- Calories: 340
- Calories from Fat: 238
- Fat: 28g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
- Sodium: 250mg
- Carbohydrate: 19g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- Sugar: 13g
- Protein: 8g
- Vitamin A: 100% DV
- Vitamin C: 35% DV, Calcium: 15% DV
- Potassium: 9% DV
- Iron: 10% DV