Chilled Tandoori Salmon with Chickpea and Pear Salad
- 12 (4-ounce) portions IQF salmon, thawed
- 3/4 cup Tandoori Spice (recipe follows)
- 6 cups canned chick peas, drained
- 6 cups Pacific Northwest Canned Pears, diced, in juice, drained
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 3 cups IQF diced mango, thawed
- 2 cups roasted red peppers
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ounces baby arugula
- TANDOORI SPICE
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons coriander
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons ginger
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
Preheat a grill to medium-high and a convection oven to 350 degrees F.
Dust each salmon portion with 1 tablespoon Tandoori Spice. Place the portions on the grill at an angle and grill for one minute, then turn 90° to create a “cross hatch” pattern. Grill one more minute and remove the salmon to a baking sheet, grill marks facing up.
Finish cooking the salmon in the preheated oven, about 6 minutes or until desired doneness. Remove from the oven and cool completely. When fully cool, cut each salmon portion in half, to create two (2-ounce) lunch portions.
In a bowl combine the chickpeas, pears, carrots, mango, red peppers and cilantro. Add the lemon juice, cumin, salt and pepper. Mix well, taste, and adjust the seasonings as desired.
To serve, toss the arugula with the rest of the salad. Spoon the salad onto the plate and top with a piece of the salmon. Serve immediately.
Makes 24 Servings